First Residents :In 1909 Premier Rutherford bought Lot 12, Block 183 in The Garneau, and shortly thereafter commenced construction on the magnificent post-Edwardian style home now known as Rutherford House. Many consider the founding of the University of Alberta to be Honorable Premier Alexander Cameron Rutherford's greatest achievement. He selected Dr. Henry Marshall Tory as the University's first president.
Dr. Tory demonstrated his confidence in the future of The Garneau neighbourhood when he took title to Lots 1 & 2 Block 183, on 91st Avenue on November 24th 1909. A year or so later, Allan C.Rankin, the first Dean of Medicine, built a charming colonial Georgian home on the corner of 90th Avenue and 112th street (since destroyed) which was later owned by the Gainer family of Edmonton. By 1911 the sale of lots and the construction of homes in The Garneau was well under way.
In the early 1920's, The Garneau, in terms of the average income of its residents, was the most affluent area of Edmonton. The homes built in the teens and early 1920's were characterized by craftsman and prairie style bungalows, Georgian and post-Edwardian style homes and were built with the finest materials available and reflect the prosperity that was present here pre and post WW1. The Dixon Craig House at 11025 Saskatchewan Drive, [still in existence on U of A property in The Garneau], is a pleasing Georgian colonial style built in 1925 for William Dixon Craig, Chancellor of the Anglican diocese of Edmonton, which reflects the new style of homes built during this time.
Ms Emily Murphy, one of Canada's prominent early citizens, moved into The Garneau with her minister husband in 1919. One of Canada's Famous Five, Ms Murphy was instrumental in having women recognized as persons under British Law. She was also the first woman in the British Empire to be appointed a police magistrate. Ms.Emily Murphy lived at 11011-88th Avenue until her death in 1933. This home, now a provincial historic resource, is found on University property in The Campus in Garneau.
Saving the Best of the Past for the Future
email: doug.gorman at preservegarneau dot org